I have some exciting news to share with you: The FDA just approved the first drug in 22 years to treat ALS - the second treatment ever for the disease. Edaravone (brand name Radicava) is an anti-oxidant drug thought to preserve motor neurons in people with ALS, allowing the nerves to keep their muscles working for a longer period of time.
This exciting announcement comes during ALS Awareness Month, a special time to honor families and rally individuals as MDA continues to lead the fight against this devastating disease. We are currently supporting important research efforts to help bring additional learnings and treatments to ALS families, including the following:
* Jie Jiang, Ph.D., is conducting studies to improve understanding of disease mechanisms underlying the most common inherited form of ALS.
* Jiou Wang, M.D., Ph.D., is working to identify how protein quality control goes awry in ALS.
* Fen-Biao Gao, Ph.D., is working to identify what leads to DNA damage in ALS and develop new drug targets for the disease.
* Mohamed Farah, Ph.D., is investigating whether a drug currently in development for Alzheimer's disease can improve function in ALS.
* Eric Shoubridge, Ph.D., is studying a new gene linked to ALS.
These research projects are the five newest of 44 active ALS projects MDA currently is supporting, with a total current funding commitment of $11.4 million. Since its inception, MDA has invested more than $363 million in ALS research and support services.
For more on the drug approval, read FDA Approves Radicava to Treat ALS<http://www2.mda.org/site/R?i=1U4173i9BXNLkIG04wQh5w>, and be sure to check back at mda.org <http://mda.org> <http://www2.mda.org/site/R?i=hwn_a3SQyTof6animlN75g> for updates.
Thank you, as always, for your continued support of MDA families.
All the best,
Associate Executive Director
Muscular Dystrophy Association
720 S Colorado Blvd. #380-S
Denver, CO 80246
o: 303.691.3331 <tel:303.691.3331> | c: 303.810.9480 <tel:303.810.9480>
Follow us online: mda.org <http://mda.org> <http://mda.org/> * facebook.com/MDARockyMountain <http://facebook.com/MDARockyMountain>